Professor of Animal Science
Director of Institute of Feed Science, Zhejiang University
409 College of Animal Science
Area of Expertise:
Animal nutrition and Immunology Animal nutrition and Meat quality
BS, Department of Food Science, Zhejiang Gongshang University, 1985
MS, Animal Physiology, Zhejiang Agricultural University, 1991
PhD, Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Zhejiang University, 2004
Advanced Visiting Scholar, Department of Animal Science, Purdue University, 2007-2008
Dr. Wang’s research focuses on investigating the interrelationship between animal nutrition and immunology, as well as between animal nutrition and meat quality. In the area of animal nutrition and immunology, development of natural antimicrobial peptides as novel antibacterial immune-stimulating agents is one of the main goals of his lab. These antimicrobial peptides are potential replacements for antibiotic, thus screening of their antibacterial activities, cytotoxicity, stability and immunomodulatory functions, molecular designing and modification, and recombinant expression is examined thoroughly in vitro. Another goal is to stimulate expression of these porcine innate antimicrobial peptides by nutritional factors, thereby enhancing host defense abilities and reducing the use of antibiotics in swine feed.
Another focus of Dr. Wang’s research is in animal nutrition and meat quality. Microarray analysis is utilized to screen differentially expressed genes related to intramuscular fat deposition and muscle fiber development by comparing the Chinese local pig breeds and exotic pig breed. Regulatory roles of those genes and the signaling mechanisms are explored in intramuscular adipocytes and muscle satellite cells. The final goal is to provide new pathways which could be utilized to improve meat quality through nutritional regulation.
Recent Research Programs
1. Functions and mechanisms of antimicrobial peptides in intestinal immunity of piglets (National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars)
2. Milk-derived peptide-mediated innate and acquired immune functions and its molecular mechanisms in piglets (National Natural Science Fund)
3. Development of bioactive peptides and defense peptides for feed use (the 12th Five-year Plan-National Science and Technology Programs in Agricultural Areas)
4. Molecular Modification and Product Development of Antimicrobial Peptides for Feed Use (National High-tech R&D Program, 863 Program)
5. The effect of lactoferrin on antimicrobial peptide PR-39 gene expression in piglets (National Natural Science Fund)
6. Studies ofmilk-derivedantimicrobial peptides (NationalExcellent DoctoralDissertationFund)
7. National swine industry technology system program
8. Cloning and function characterization of novel genes modulating myofibrils development and intramuscular fat deposit in pigs (Major Projects for Cultivation and Breeding of New Transgenic Organisms)
9. The expression meat quality traits related genes of local swine and poultry breeds and their nutritional regulation (National Basic Research Program of China, 973 program)
Feed Science, undergraduate course, 17120721
Advanced Feed Science, graduate course, 172101001
Recent Advance on Animal nutrition and Feed science, graduate course, 1713004
Principles of Animal Products Quality Formation, graduate core course, 1711026
1. Yifan Liu. Feifei Han. Yonggang Xie. Yizhen Wang. Comparative antimicrobial activity and mechanism of action of bovine lactoferricin-derived synthetic peptides. Biometals. 2011. DOI 10.1007/s10534-011-9465-y.
2. Feifei Han. Yifan Liu. Yonghang Xie. Yanhua Gao . Chao Luan. Yizhen Wang. Antimicrobial peptides derived from different animals:comparative studies of antimicrobial properties, cytotoxicity and mechanism of action. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2011. DOI 10.1007/s11274-010-0643-9.
3. YiFan Liu. Chao Luan. Xi Xia. Sha An. Yizhen Wang. Antibacterial Activity, Cytotoxicity and Mechanisms of action of Cathelicidin Peptides against Enteric Pathogens in Weaning Piglets. Int J Pept Res Ther. 2011. DOI 10.1007/s10989-011-9255-y.
4. F. F. Han, Y. Z. Wang, J. Feng, J. Guo and Z. R. Xu. Developmental gene expression of antimicrobial peptide Protegrin-1 and effect of weaning on gene regulation of Protegrin-I in piglets. Journal of Animal and Feed Sciences.2007. 16(1): 86-95.
5. T. Shan, Y. Wang, Y. Wang, J. Liu and Z. Xu. Effect of dietary lactoferrin on the immune functions and serum iron level of weanling piglets. Journal of Animal Science.2007. 85(9): 2140-2146.
6. Y. Z. Wang, T. Z. Shan, Z. R. Xu, J. Feng and Z. Q. Wang. Effects of the lactoferrin (LF) on the growth performance, intestinal microflora and morphology of weanling pigs. Animal Feed Science and Technology.2007. 135(3-4): 263-272.
7. Wang Yizhen, Wu Xiaofeng, Liu Guangfu, Cao Cuiping. Expression of porcine lactoferrin by using recombinant baculovirus in silkworm,Bombyx mori L,and its purification and characterization. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2005. (69): 385-389.
8. Wang Yizhen,Tu Youjin, Han Feifei, Xu Zirong, Wang Jinghua. Developmental Gene Expression of Lactoferrin and Effect of Dietary Iron on Gene Regulation of Lactoferrin in Mouse Mammary Gland. Journal of dairy Science, 2005. 88: 2065 - 2071.
9. M. L. Jin, Y. M. Wang, C. L. Xu, Z. Q. Lu, M. Huang and Y. Z. Wang. Preparation and biological activities of an exopolysaccharide produced by Enterobacter cloacae Z0206. Carbohydrate Polymers.2010. 81(3): 607-611.
10. C. L. Xu, Y. Z. Wang, M. L. Jin and X. Q. Yang. Preparation, characterization and immunomodulatory activity of selenium-enriched exopolysaccharide produced by bacterium Enterobacter cloacae Z0206. Bioresource Technology.2009. 100(6): 2095-2097.
11. J. Guo, T. Shan, T. Wu, L. N. Zhu, Y. Ren, S. An and Y. Wang. Comparisons of different muscle metabolic enzymes and muscle fiber types in Jinhua and Landrace pigs. Journal of Animal Science.2011. 89(1): 185-191.
12. Yizhen Wang, Yanna Huang, Kaiyue Sun, Jianhua Qi, Lan Xiang. Leptin gene transfer regulates fibromuscular development and lipid deposition in muscles via SIRT1, FOXO3a and PGC-1α in mice in vivo. International Journal Of Molecular Medicine.2011. 28: 617-623.
13. T. Shan, Y. Ren, Y. Liu, L. Zhu and Y. Wang. Breed difference and regulation of the porcine Sirtuin 1 by insulin. Journal of Animal Science.2010. 88(12): 3909-3917.
14. T. Shan, T. Wu, Y. Reng and Y. Wang. Breed difference and regulation of the porcine adipose triglyceride lipase and hormone sensitive lipase by TNF alpha. Animal Genetics. 2009. 40(6): 863-870.
15. T. Shan, Y. Wang, T. Wu, C. Liu, J. Guo, Y. Zhang, J. Liu and Z. Xu. Porcine sirtuin 1 gene clone, expression pattern, and regulation by resveratrol. Journal of Animal Science. 2009. 87(3): 895-904.
16. T. Z. Shan, Y. Ren, T. Wu, C. X. Liu and Y. Z. Wang. Regulatory Role of Sirt1 on the Gene Expression of Fatty Acid-Binding Protein 3 in Cultured Porcine Adipocytes. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry.2009. 107(5): 984-991.
Awards & Honors
2010- National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars Award
2007-NationalExcellent DoctoralDissertation Award
2007- Scientist position in the National swine industry technology system
2005- New Century excellent talent Award from Ministry of Education
2004- 151 Talents Training Project of Zhejiang Province (First-class)
2001- Outstanding young and mid-aged scientist of Zhejiang Province
2001- The National Science & Technology Progress Award, second prize
2007- The Science and Technology (Invention) Award of Zhejiang Province, second prize
1999- The Science & Technology Progress Award of Henan Province, third prize
1998- The Science & Technology Progress Award of Zhejiang Province, second prize
1995- The Science & Technology Progress Award of Zhejiang Province, third prize
Vice Director, National Engineering Laboratory of Bio-feed Safety and Pollution Prevention
Vice Director, Key Laboratory of Molecular Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Education
Executive Director, Key laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Ministry of Agriculture
Executive Director, Key Laboratory of Feed Science and Animal Nutrition, Zhejiang Province
Secretary General, Board of Directors, Chinese Association of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine-Animal Nutrition Branch
Vice Director,Technological Innovation Service Platform of Feed Industry, Zhejiang Province
Executive Director, Zhejiang Association of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine- Animal Nutrition and Animal Health Branch