Dr. Songhua Hu
Professor & Chair
Department of Veterinary Medicine
Tel. & Fax: 86-571-86971852
1. 1978 - 1982:
Major: Veterinary Medicine
Degree: Bachelor in Veterinary Medicine
2. 1982 - 1985:
Major: Veterinary Medicine
Degree: Master of Science
3. 1998 - 2002: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
Major: Veterinary Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Feb 1985 ¨C Aug 1998, assistant professor, associate professor and professor, Department of Veterinary Medicine,
Sept 1998 ¨C present, professor, Department of Veterinary Medicine,
May 1992 ¨C Dec 2002, visiting research at the Mastitis Laboratory and the Vaccine Department, National Veterinary Institute,
Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine, including medicinal herbs and acupuncture
1. HU S, FANG W, LIU H, JIANG C, YE D & YAN H. Effect of teat dipping and dry cow therapy on mastitis in a commercial dairy herd in China. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 1990, 10, 91-96.
2. HU S, ZHU P & JIANG C. Correlation of Hangzhou Mastitis Test (HMT) with milk somatic cell count. Chinese Journal of Veterinary Medicine (
3. HU S & JIANG C. Effect of subclinical bovine mastitis of the content of milk fat, protein and lactose.
4. HU S, CAI W, YE J, Qian Z & SUN Z. Influence of medicinal herbs on the phagocytosis by bovine polymorphnuclear leukocytes. Journal of Veterinary Medicine A. 1992, 39, 593-599.
5. HU S, CAI W & DU A. Relationship between milk electrical conductivity somatic cell counts and intramammary infection. Chinese Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology, 1993, 6, 11-13. (in Chinese with English abstract)
6. HU S, Concha C, Cooray R & Holmberg O. Ginseng-enhanced oxidative and phagocytic activities of polymorphonuclear leucocytes from bovine peripheral blood and stripping milk. Veterinary Research, 1995, 26, 155-161.
7. Concha C, HU S & Holmberg O. The proliferative responses of cow stripping milk and blood lymphocytes to pokeweed mitogen and ginseng in vitro. Veterinary Research, 1996, 27, 107-115.
8. HU S & DU A. Treatment of bovine mastitis with houttuynin sodium bisulphate. Journal of Veterinary Medicine B, 1997, 44, 365-370.
9. HU S, DU A & CAI W. Bacteriological analysis of milk samples from bovine clinical and subclinical mastitis. Chinese Journal of Animal Infectious Diseases, 1998, 20: 199-201. (in Chinese)
10. HU S, YU B. Antibiotic residues in milk after mastitis treatment in cows. Chinese Journal of Veterinary Medicine (
11. HU S, DU A. Influence of Compound Astragalus on immunisation of chicks with
12. HU S, CONCHA C, JOHANNISSON A, MEGLIA G & WALLER KP. Effect of subcutaneous injection of ginseng on cows with subclinical Staphylococcus aureus mastitis. Journal of Veterinary Medicine B, 2001, 48, 519-528.
13. HU S, Johannisson A. A flow cytomeric assay for quantitating phagocytic and oxidative burst activity of bovine ploymorphnuclear leaukocytes in whole blood. Journal of Veterinary Medicine (
14. Rivera E, Hu S, Concha C. The ginsenosides extracted from the Panax ginseng root are adjuvants. (accepted by Vaccine)
15. Hu S, Concha C, Lin F & Persson Waller K. Adjuvant effect of ginseng extracts on the immune responses to immunization against Staphylococcus aureus in dairy cattle. (accepted by Veterinary Immunology and Immuopathology)
16. HU S, CONCHA C, LIN F?? PERSSON WALLER K. Adjuvant effect of ginseng extracts on the immune responses to immunization against Staphylococcus aureus in dairy cattle. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol, 2003, 91??29-37
17. RIVERA E., DAGGFELDT A??HU S. Ginseng extract in aluminium hydroxide adjuvanted vaccines improves the antibody response of pigs to porcine parvovirus and Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae. Vet. Immunol. Immuopathol. 2003, 91:19-27
18. HU S & LIU H. Medicinal herbs in the treatment of bovine mastitis. Proceedings of the 3rd International Mastitis Seminar, May 28 - June 1, 1995 Tel Aviv, Isreal.
19. HU S, CONCHA C, JOHANNISSON A, MEGLIA G & PERSSON WALLER K. Treatment of bovine subclinical mastitis using subcutaneous injection of ginseng. Proceedings of Symposium on Immunology of Ruminant Mammary Gland. 11-14 June 2000, Stresa, Italy.
20. HU S??LIN F??LIU D & CONCHA C. 2001 Ginsenosides-increased antibody responses to Staphylococcus aureus vaccine in guinea pigs. Proceedings of the 6th International Veterinary Immunology Symposium, 15-20 July, 2001,
21. Hu S. Acupuncture stimulation to enhance immune rewsponses: Research and clinical application. Proceedings of The North American Veterinary Conference. 17-21 January 2004,
22. Hu S. Chinese herbal medicine for infectious diseases: Modern studies and clinical application. Proceedings of The North American Veterinary Conference. 17-21 January 2004,